Monday, February 28, 2011

Being Mr. Myspace's Date

The day after Mr. Myspace's Birthday he decided to make it official. He called me his boy friend. I was so excited. I felt as though I was on cloud nine. We would stay on the phone at night for hours talking about the stupidest things. Sometimes just listening to each other breath. There were times when neither of us wanted to hang up and we would fall asleep on each other while on the phone. He told me that I was his best birthday present. It was April and he was a senior in High School, which meant there was a big event coming up in his life. Prom. He had asked me to go and I was thrilled! I wanted to go so bad, but the more that I thought about it the more scared I got. I've only known him for a couple months and we've only been dating for a short time. So I did what I alway's do when I need advice...go to my mother. She didn't think it was a good idea. Although she was new to the whole having a gay son thing, and to be honest didn't quite know how to handle the situation. When I had came out to her towards the end of eighth grade/ beginning of freshman year of high school, she had a break down. I don't know if she was shocked or just didn't want to believe it. She asked "so your not attracted to any women? not even someone like Jessica Simpson?" and I responded, "no, more like Nick Lachey." And we both laughed and that changed the mood of our depressing/ awkward conversation. I was always grateful that she wasn't one of those crazy parents that would kick their kids out of the house if they were gay, and I knew she wouldn't be like that which is why I came out to her. But I just expected her to be more excepting of it than she actually was. She tried to act as if everything was fine, although I knew it would take some time for her to get use to. When I would come home and tell her who I had come out to that day she would get all nerves that I was telling too many people too fast. She was always scared of someone judging me, or me getting hurt. Although I already knew in my mind that things like that would be happening to me my whole life and that I was going to have to find a way to get past it. But nonetheless when I asked her advice about going to Mr. Myspace's prom she suggested that I didn't go. So I went with her suggestion instead of with Mr. Myspace to his prom. He was a little disappointed, but he understood. The next day he posted a picture on myspace of him sitting next to an empty chair with his arm out, as though he had his arm around a ghost's shoulder. Under the picture read the caption "this is my prom date". It made me giggle and wish I had of went. It looked as though it would have been a good time....

No comments:

Post a Comment