Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The School's Apology

The day after the winter formal everyone in the school had been aware of what had happened. I was venting to my teacher who I was very close to, who happened to be our class advisor, about what had happened that night. I really thought that our school would have been able to be mature about it, and I guess I was living in this little fantasy world in my head that people of our generation didn't really care, and that it was only the older people who saw something wrong with homosexuality. But the event of the night that shocked me the most was when another senior, who is rumored to be gay, yelled the word fagot. I mean it's not like I, or anyone else could hear him over the music, but I could read the word on his lips. I just couldn't understand why someone who is in the same situation I'm in would do that. You know what it's like to be made fun of, or talked about behind your back, so why would you do that to someone else? I guess because he was considered "popular" people didn't give him as much problems as they did me. So after venting to my teacher in second period, one by one the class president and all other students council members came up to me to apologize. When the class president walked up to me I was shocked. I totally wasn't expecting it. He told me that he was sorry for what had happened that night, and that he feels like he should have done more to help break it up, and that I shouldn't of had to go through that. But what was I suppose to say in response? I've never spoken to him a day in my life. So all I did was nod my head and say thank you. Then when the rest of the student council came up to me I just did the same thing. But when one member of the student council came up to me, I didn't let him off the hook so easily. It was the allegedly "gay" guy who called me  fagot. His apology seemed more like he wanted to get the attention off of him. Between me and my friends talking about it, the spotlight was now on him making him look like a hypocrite. He claimed he never called me that, and that he apologized if I had thought thats what had happened. It was funny seeing how awkward he was about coming up to me. I let him know how shocked and hurt I was that day by everyone's reactions and how I thought our generation was above that. He nodded his head and kept agreeing with me, but I could tell he just wanted to get the hell out of there. It was bad enough that it was the end of the school day and everyone leaving the building probably saw us talking. But I do have to give him credit, it took balls to come up to me and apologize, even though it was a half ass apology. Plus he got what was coming to him with all the rumors afterwards. With all this drama I can't even imagine what prom is going to be like...

No comments:

Post a Comment