Monday, April 11, 2011

Our Trip to Virginia

The car was packed and we were on our way down to Virginia. I was in Melissa's car with her daughter Ally, my best friend Paula, and her sister Kimmy. In my mom's car was my Dad, my two little brothers, and Melissa's son Mark. We all referred to the three of the boys as "the bigga's". It has always been a thing in my family. My Grandfather who we all called "Pop", would always call my little brother Billy, Big boy. Between that and him being over weight we came up with the term "bigga" so when someone was over weight, or had a fat moment, we would all say "bigga!" Me being the only thin one in my family, I didn't get called it very often. Ella had to stay back home because she had to work, but Paula's mom Faye and her boy friend drove down in their own car. The drive down wasn't bad. We had a blast in our car. Since I have always been the one with the huge music collection, I got to DJ. We all talked and laughed and had a blast. During the trip things were going fine. The next morning we went to a water park called Waterloo Village. I have never been a huge fan of water parks, but his place was the shit. Thanks to my mom's awesome planning skills we had this sweet cabana by the wave pool with food, drinks, towels, sun screen, the works. I had a blast on all the rides, and Paula, Kimmy, Greg, and I had a blast. I had barley seen the rest of my family the entire day. When we got back from the water park we had all met up for a BBQ back at the hotel. There was so much food. Melissa has always been an awesome cook, so the dinner was more like a feast. Being that we were down south and Paula and Kimmy are from Africa they kept joking the whole trip that they were waiting for someone to call them the "N" word. Every time we had to speak to an employee or just a local to Virgina we would crack up laughing as if the person was going to call them the "N" word right to their face. The next morning we went to the theme park that my mom was most excited for...Williamsburg. My mom was definitely born in the wrong time era. She has always been obsessed with the Victorian style clothes and decoration. So this place was right up her ally. I might have also enjoyed the park, if it wasn't so hot and if it didn't smell like horse shit every where we went. I had never been happier to live in the moder world with cars instead of horse and buggies. My feet were killing me by the end of the day, but my mom was happier then a pig in mud. She had found a place in Williamsburg where they bake broomsticks out of actual sticks and hay. She then told us her story of how she went on a field trip when she was a kid and all she wanted was this home made broom stick, but since her mother (my grandma) was a single mother with four kids living on welfare, she didn't have the money to buy it. When my brother Billy went on a class trip to the same place, she was so excited because she was class mother and she got to go. But it would be her luck, that the day they went the guy who made the brooms wasn't there. So when she got to Williamsburg she was so excited to get her homemade broom stick....ugh the things that get my mom excited. After our exciting trip to Williamsburg (insert sarcasm here) the next day we went to Busch Gardens. I had always liked rides, especially spinning rides, but I always had a fear of flipping. Although, with Mr. Myspace's help, my fear of heights and roller coasters was starting to diminish. So my brother Greg convinced me to go on this crazy looking ride. It was bright red and swung back and forth. While swinging it also spun around in a circle. It would swing up in the air high enough that at one point you are spinning in a circle while flipped upside down. Luckily there wasn't much of a line, so I didn't have much time to hesitate. We got on, and in the end it was a blast! My adrenalin was pumping and I wanted more! This had started my new fascination with "big" rides. It had now been winding down towards the end of the trip. Melissa had been short on cash, and we were now going to walk around Virgina beach. We walked on the board walk, and my mom and the bigga's ran to stick their feet in the water, but Paula, Kimmy, Ally, and I decided to stay back. There is nothing worse that sandy, wet feet, and then having to put your shoes back on. We went on a couple dinky rides on the board walk and went into some of the stores. One of the stores being a piercing shop. I was so tempted to get my cartilage pierced like Ally. I looked at my mom and asked, "should I?" She knew me too well and said, "your too chicken". We went in and looked around, Paula and Kimmy tried to talk me into it, but Ally told me it kinda hurt when she had her's done, so like my mom predicted, I chickened out. Melissa had been in a cranky mood the whole night because Mark had kept asking for money to go on the rides with the rest of the bigga's. The entire trip my Dad had kept saying how on the way back home he wanted to drive through Washington D.C. which would be stupid because it's not like we would see anything. He just wanted to drive past to say he saw the Washington Monument. On the way home it had started to torrential down pour. My mom was driving and had been using the GPS that was built into the car. As we were driving there was a fork in the road. As soon as the GPS was about to tell my mom which way to turn, Melissa called my mom on her cell to ask her about pulling over for dinner, forcing the GPS to switch over to blue tooth mode to answer her call, so my mom just guessed on which road to go on. My mom ignored the call to get back on to the GPS mode, but by then it was too late. My mom had accidentally taken the exit to go to Washington D.C. Melissa was furious. The traffic going through Washington was way worse than if we had stayed on the path were were suppose to. As we passed through she yelled "ARE YOU HAPPY?!? LOOK EVERYONE THERE'S THE FUCKING WASHINGTON MONUMENT!!!" Paula, Kimmy, and I sat in the back seat quiet as a mouse. When Melissa finally got my mom on the phone, my mom tried to explain to her what had happened, but Melissa wasn't buying it. We finally decided to stop and eat at Burger King. When Melissa hung up the phone, Ally asked, "what's Onion King?" Melissa then yelled, "WHY THE FUCK WOULD I SAY ONION KING ALLY?!?" The whole car was quiet. We then looked at Kimmy as she was holding it in so hard. She wanted to burst out laughing, but was deathly afraid. Seeing her struggle to hold it in, made it even harder for me and Paula. We couldn't take it anymore, we bursted out into laughter, what felt like an hour after the incident happened. Melissa thought it was funny that we were afraid to laugh and the whole car started laughing. When we got to Burger King we were no longer laughing. Melissa was still in a bad mood, and the workers taking three years to make our food wasn't helping. After flipping out at the Burger King employees, we were back on the road. I was never so happy to be back home. I had missed Mr. Myspace, and aside from the occasional sexting and midnight phone sex during the trip, I hadn't talked to him too much, so I was excited to see just how much he missed me...

No comments:

Post a Comment