Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Father, Son Relationship

With Mr. Myspace's moods going up and down as much as a roller coaster ride, his relationship with his parents was obviously on the rocks. But for as longs as I had known him his relationship with his father was never good. According to him he use to be very close to his father until he came out that he was gay. His father had a hard time excepting it, and their relationship has not been the same since. But I have to give his father credit, because for someone who was not accepting of his son being gay, he never gave me a reason to think so. His dad always made me feel comfortable when I was at the house and was always interested in how me and my family were doing. When my dad would see Mr. Myspace it was a shocker if he said hi to him. But that's how my dad is. He's not homophobic, he's just blah. I know that blah isn't an adjective, but my dad is so relaxed all the time that you would think he was stoned. But both of Mr. Myspace's parents treated me as if I was their son. It was odd because it seemed as though I had a better relationship with his parents than he did, which put me in the middle of their arguments most of the time. Especially with the high amounts of debt Mr. Myspace had accumulated after being fired from his assistant job the tension was high. One night while I was home since it was a school night I had been texting Mr. Myspace. He had told me that his parents wanted to sit down and have a talk with him. I figured it was to talk about his behavior and that if he wasn't working he had to pickup some slack around the house, because they were always on his case about not doing anything around the house. I was not expecting the family chat to take the dramatic turn that it did. He told me that he would text me after the talk. He didn't text me that night until 2:30am telling me how much he hated his father and that he hoped he rotted in hell. The family meeting was to explain to Mr. Myspace that  his father had been having an affair. Once they told him, he ran outside slamming the door behind him. Outside with his friend "the bad influence". She gave him a hug and he cried on her shoulder that night. I wish it could have been my shoulder, because I felt horrible for him, but unfortunately I had been sleeping the time this happened. Mr. Myspace didn't come home that night. That weekend I went to Mr. Myspace's house to watch a movie. This had to be one of the most awkward moments in my life. It was still undecided if his dad was going to be staying at the house still or moving out with the mistress. I couldn't believe that his mother didn't kick his ass out on the curb. I wasn't getting involved so I pretended like I didn't know anything. I just said hi, and walked into the basement. While in the middle of watching the Will and Grace seasons his mom came down stairs asking if he could come up for a minute. He replied that he had nothing left to say. When she left I told him that he should go up, at least for his mom because she was obviously going through a lot. It was killing me, I had to hear what they were talking about. Plus they left me down stairs by myself so what else was I to do? I left Will and Grace running on the tv, and I stood by the stairs. It was hard to hear them over the tv, but Mr. Myspace wasn't speaking. I heard his mom saying things with a little more detail, like that the mistress was someone who his dad worked with, and that they had been having the affair for years, and then the next part shocked me...he was moving in with his mistress. Mr. Myspace I thought handled it very well. He didn't freak out like I had expected, he calmly came down stairs and said, "lets go". I didn't know if it was the best idea to leave his mom alone, because I didn't want her to be lonely, but maybe his parents needed their space. So like after every fight with his parents we went around the mall to walk around. It was kind of a quiet car ride. I didn't know what to talk about, and I didn't want to blast music, because this obviously wasn't a mood that you could just shake off with a good song. So I grabbed his hand as I began to notice his eyes tear up. He squeezed my hand as a tear streamed down his cheek and he rested his head on my shoulder till we got the mall. I was happy that I could be there for him this time...

1 comment:

  1. JIMMY THIS WAS VERY WELL WRITTEN AND ALMOST MADE ME TEAR UP!! I LOVE THIS BLOG

    -SAMMIT <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete