Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mr. Myspace's Big Day

Today was his big day. It was Mr. Myspace's High School graduation. Now that I have my license I am able to drive to his place on my own. Thankfully I have a GPS that can help me find his school. When I pull up to the school I see all the proud parents on the bleachers. The clouds start to get dark. It looks as though the end of the world is approaching. I see his parents and twin sisters standing by the fence with his grandparents recording the event. I was too shy to walk up and join them. In the sky was a jolt of lightning. The speeches started to go through faster and faster. Thunder then became louder than the valedictorian making his speech. It seemed as though out of no where buckets of water fell from the sky. The last person in line grabbed their diploma as we all sprinted to the gym. I managed to find him through the crowd of wet frantic families trying to find their graduates. both of us were drenched. It was like something out of a cheesy chick flick. I went in for a kiss, but got no more than a hug. We then walked around and he introduced me to all his teachers. I could tell which teachers he was close to and which ones he wasn't just by the way I was introduced to them. If he was close with the teacher it was, "this is my boy friend Jimmy". And if he wasn't close with them it was, "this is my FRIEND Jimmy". I always thought it was so awkward when ever he, his family, or my parents introduced us as FRIENDS. We clearly are both gay. It's not like anyone would ever mistake us for being straight. So do they actually think that when they introduce us as FRIENDS that people can't connect the dots? When ever I would hear that form of introduction it would make me cringe inside. Especially coming from my mother. I could understand why maybe his parents would want to keep our relationship on the down low, because of their Spanish culture, but what excuse did my mom have? My own father didn't find out I was gay until almost a year after I told my mom. That's how much she wanted to keep it on the wraps that she didn't even tell her own husband. I had came out on my own to family members I was close with, but there were other family members who I just didn't know how to have that kind of conversation with them. It became an unspoken thing in my family. Everyone knew, but they would just rather not bring it up in fear of an awkward conversation. My dad's side of the family had already told my mom on several occasions when I was younger that she was going to turn me gay. Perhaps she felt guilty about it. They all would say that because she let me play with dolls, listen to girly music, and be interested in girly things that she would turn me gay. In my opinion you are born gay. Because trust me I wouldn't chose to be ridiculed and judged on the daily. So needless to say I wasn't about to have a conversation about me and Mr. Myspace with my dad's side of the family. As I walked around getting to know Mr. Myspace's teachers I would constantly hear the same question asked his way, "so what are you going to do now that you've graduated?" This has been the question I have been dying to know myself. He would answer "I would like to get into modeling, and maybe go to community college".  This is coming from someone who in my eyes had the potential to be a doctor or lawyer, but he wanted to attempt modeling and go to community college? It just seemed like a waste of his knowledge. Being that I have a learning disability (auditory processing) school was never the easiest thing for me. But for him it just came so naturally. He made it look effortless, but he was lazy and didn't want to put the effort in most of the time. I was hoping his modeling dream was just a fantasy, I didn't know that he was actually serious. After the graduation ceremony we went back to his house. He had an hour before he had to go back to the school for project graduation . During this hour I got to meet his sisters, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. It seemed as though I could see myself fitting in with his family at one point in my life. But not if he didn't come down from the clouds and face reality that modeling wasn't going to pay the bills.

No comments:

Post a Comment